Monday, August 21, 2017

Week 2 in the Field





Hey everyone! 

The work has been wonderful. Last Saturday (Aug 19th) was my one month mark! It's gone by so quick and I'm looking forward to the next 23! It was a pretty interesting week. I don't remember most of it, but I do remember the really good stuff. :D 

Tuesday, not much happened. We went and saw a less-active. He talked for most of the time about how the world's going to end because of Trump. Then he moved to how animals play a role in the Plan of Salvation...then he went back to Trump. I enjoyed it and at the end before we left, I told him not to worry and that he doesn't need to carry all the worlds problems on his shoulders. It's hard seeing who people here can become, but they don't want to make a change.

Wednesday, I don't really remember what happened except that Elder Kuewa ran over a 7up can and it flipped up and hit him in the face. I laughed just a little. He's an awesome trainer and he loves to talk about Hawaii. I've decided to add visiting Hawaii on my bucket list.

Thursday and Friday were both normal days. We visited a few people and taught a lesson to a nine-year old name Caden. We're planning on committing him to baptism this week! We also taught a new investigator name Sommer. It's spelled with a "o" but you pronounce it "summer." She had a LOT of questions. Elder Kuewa said he's never taught a lesson with so many questions. We were there for almost two hours. The bishop in the Westwood Ward is pretty sure she's going to get baptized. 

Saturday was one of the best days this week. We have three (almost four) investigators on date to be baptized. Bobby is one of our best investigators and he has a three-year old boy name Jeremiah. You can tell he really cares about his boy. We got to take him to the Mesa Visitor Center. The part he loved the most was the families can be together forever videos. He started to cry and talk about how the Elders have helped him so much, and how he can see hope for himself and his son. We said a prayer and recommitted him to baptism September 23rd. Also on Saturday, we had service. Elder Kuewa took me to a thrift store where we broke down a couple of boxes, organized the store, and I had a battle with some kind of giant beetle. You couldn't really call it a battle, because I started running when it came after me. :D

Sunday was a very great day too. I was asked to give a talk in the Westwood Ward on Elder Anderson's talk called "Overcoming the World. It went great and the members here are so kind. At first, I talked about myself. Where I'm from, my family, and what some hobbies were. I had a pretty funny story I used. I'll try to explain it. On Saturday, we went and visited a family named the Brinkerhoffs. I listed of a few of my hobbies to them (hiking, sleeping, and ballroom dancing) and Sister Brinkerhoff thought she heard me say barn dancing. Haha! So in sacrament meeting, I told them this story and then I said: "I guess if anywhere in the world had barn dancing, it would be Idaho." One particular sister in the congregation thought it was pretty funny. 

So that was my week. I'm excited to see what experiences this next week brings. I hope you all survived the eclipse. I heard there were a lot of people heading up there. Send me pictures of all the people. 

I'll leave you with a quick testimony. I know that The Book of Mormon is true. I know that it was translated by the power of God through the Prophet; Joseph Smith. I know that it can bless so many lives. I know that Jesus Christ lives. He is our Savior. He has saved my life, He's saved all of our lives. I can not begin to say how badly I want to be like Him. He's given me everything and I am so blessed to have the opportunity to give Him two years of my life where I only focused on others. I know He loves me, and I love Him. We can all become better, become more Christlike, because of Him. In the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.

I hope you all have a wonderful week. I try to pray for you all often. Thank you for your examples and your prayers. I leave the door every morning feeling the Spirit by my side as it protects me and tells me which ways to go. Stay safe and be brave!

Love, 
Elder DeGraw

No comments:

Post a Comment