Monday, November 27, 2017

Baptism #2, Thanksgiving= A Few More Pounds, and A Great Week

Hey everyone!

It's Elder DeGraw again! I hope you all had the best Thanksgiving this last week! A lot happened this last week, but I'll try to keep it short but sweet. I hope you all stayed safe and ate plenty of pie. So here's the goods...

Monday night was FHE at the Webb's (some really great members). Such cool pictures! Brother Webb has been everywhere. He knows every hidden canyon in Arizona. He also takes pictures of Arizona temples in his spare time. Next time we come by, he's gonna show us pictures from his mission to Canada. He has some funny stories that  can make you laugh until your sides hurt.

Tuesday we played frisbee with one of our investigators. His names Stephen and he has some serious skills. I didn't even know frisbee could be like an art to some people. We had a few lessons that night with some great less actives and investigators. The coolest part of this week has been how we have had people come up to us on the street and ask if we can teach them. 

Wednesday we swept a sweet old lady's driveway. She sent us home with a few lemons from her lemon tree. Football game and mini van. Awesomeness. One of our less actives and her investigator son wanted us to come to a flag football game with them. We got permission and snagged the Zone Leaders minivan (booyah, driving again!). It was so much fun! I loved cheering Caden (the inv) on. The craziest part was we ran into two celebrities! If you haven't seen the Mormon Message: "Music of the Gospel," you need to see it asap! Here's a picture of the two guys we met. The dad actually coaches the team that his son play on. Pretty sweet.

Thursday was Thanksgiving! In the morning, I opened my package from my family! Then went and did service with the ZLs and two other Elders. Our job was to throw together the meal packages for the homeless. It was a special feeling knowing that I was helping others. We didn't get to deliver them though, that was the youth's job, because we had to run as quick as we could to a turkey bowl with our ward. We also had a district meeting on Thanksgiving. I also studied in the BoM and read about... Christopher Columbus, what? I never even knew that Nephi saw so much in his vision. Thanksgiving dinner with Bishop Webb! This guy is a great example to me and definitely someone I plan to visit again after I'm home. After the meal, we went over to the church and played a lil bit of basketball with his grandkids. It was a good day. 

Friday we had interviews with President. I always look forward to interviews with him. Everytime, he always says something profound and my eyes are opened to a new idea or way of thinking. Friday night, we got to teach a 16 year old named Megan. She is pretty cool and has had a lot of Religious influence in her life. I've been prayed for her every day since we met with her that she will open her heart to our message.

Saturday we had baptism #2! It was great and spiritual. His name is Tyson and he has a light about him. His parents were so so proud. For lunch, I got a surprise visit from fellow Rexburgers, Raygon and Andy Hymas. What!? I was so excited to see them, I could hardly study. The Hymas family are some of my favorite people ever, so it was a great surprise. We went around the rest of the day visiting with whoever we could. My favorite part of the day was having a bike race with Jolene in the church parking lot. She's in one of my favorite member families. 

So on Sunday we had the craziest thing happen. We had a former investigator come to church that Elder Bird and I have been trying to contact for a while now. Chris just showed up out of the blue-- but wait, there's more. Elder Johnson (a missionary that just went home and served here in my area) showed up too. He's actually the missionary that met Chris and started teaching him. They ran into each other and didn't even plan it! Elder Bird and I also got to go to a Christmas Musical Fireside. My favorite part was when the primary kids sang Silent Night. I started tearing up. In the few months I've been here, I've realized how much I truly love the members. Now I just need to show it. I'm so grateful for the blessing I have to be a part of their lives. 

Not too much has happened today, just the usual Pday stuff. So I'll close with a quick testimony. This last week, I read the talk President Uchtdorf gave at the Women's General Priesthood Session. There was so much to pull out of it, but of course what stuck with me the most is how we should be glad. We have every reason to be glad in this life, especially since we've been filled with the joy of our knowledge of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I wish to accomplish much in this life, but if there's one thing I want to accomplish more then another, it's to develop and lives a life full of gratitude. I've been given so much, you've been given so much, and there's so much Heavenly Father still plans to give us. Be grateful and happy for what you now have, and always let those you love know that they re loved. Let them know that they are appreciated. I am so grateful to know each one of you and to have had you examples in my life. I'm so grateful for the example of my Savior. I want so badly to be like him, and while that may not happen tomorrow, or the next day, or in a while, I know that continuing to try and continuing to love others will bring me closer to him. I love my Savior. He loves you and He knows you. I humbly say these thing in the name of Jesus Christ, amen.

Gratitude List...
#20 I'm grateful for the divine potential I've been given and for what's ahead.
#21 I'm grateful for the song Gethsemane, I'm trying to be like Jesus, or Families can be Together Forever. 
#22 A story I'm grateful for is the nativity scene and Christ's birth.
#23 The tradition I'm grateful for are the warm cinnamon rolls my mom and Grandma would pull out of the oven on Christmas Day.
#24 A challenge I'm grateful for is being a missionary. There are ups and downs, but the downs make you even more grateful for the beautiful ups. 
#25 A moment I'm grateful for this week would have to be Thanksgiving with the Webbs. I enjoy mu time with that family so much!
#26 I'm grateful for laughter and the joy the sound brings. 

I hope you all have a great and wonderful week! Stay safe and don't cave. Give this week your all!

--

No comments:

Post a Comment