Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Week 2 in the MTC!

Hello everyone! 

So much has happened in the last week, so I guess I'll jump right in. First, I'm still loving the MTC, but everyday I get more anxious to get into the field. I think these feelings mostly come from teaching the TRC's. It's a program that let's missionaries practice their teaching skills on actors that are members or REAL investigators. We teach 2 on 1, so there's never more then one investigator in the room with us. My two TRC's this week are Kainoa and Ashton. They are both really great and want to know about the gospel. (We aren't suppose to know if they're members or investigators, but garments are an easy give away.) When I'm teaching a lesson, the Spirit is so strong. You just want to give that feeling of peace and joy to other people. Teaching is my favorite part of a mission so far. My companion is awesome. His favorite quote is: "The church is true, the book is blue, and Moroni is on the ball." He says it as often as he can. It's catchy. He tries really hard and serves others. Prayer is such a powerful tool, I've never been on my knees more in my life. I'm gonna need prayer this next week too, a lot...

Elder Horrocks and I got a letter saying that we're meeting with the MTC President tomorrow. I'm not sure what it's for. They might be asking us to give a talk in the Departure Meeting on Sunday. Maybe not, I have a few ideas of what else it could be. Then on Sunday we're giving the Priesthood lesson on virtue and later that night we have to help with Match the Message. Basically we stand in front of all the Elders and are given mics so we can answer questions. Stressful week. 

I'm excited (nervous) and I'll give my all. I only have two years, so I'll make every minute count!

Speaking of entering the mission field, I got my flight plans. I get to leave August 7th. Next Monday! There are 18 Elders in total on the flight. I don't know if Scottsdale is ready to handle all that priesthood power. The hardest part is going to be saying goodbye to the Elders in our district that are heading to Nampa, ID. I've come to love them in a short amount of time and it feels like we've been brothers all of our lives. They will be great missionaries. 

My dorm is called the Addison Pratt building. I spoke a little bit in my last email about the new MTC. It is such an amazing building. I'm lucky enough to have my classroom be in this building. I've attached a picture of my view. Another wonderful blessing the new MTC has given me was the chance to help with tours on Thursday. I loved talking to the tourists and seeing the light in their eyes. The younger kids made me laugh because they were so shocked that they were actually meeting a real-life missionary. 

That was a super cool day, but I so wish it would have been Friday. Why? Well I remember we we're having a Book of Mormon read outside, and all the sudden there were security guards everywhere...everywhere. Then out the doors right next to me comes Jefferey R. Holland. Yeah. He smiled at Elder Horrocks and I and kept walking. All the Elders on the tour that day got to shake his hand. So. Lucky.  You know that we are led by true Prophets and Apostles when you meet one. The light they have, the Spirit that's about them, it's real. 

I guess I should end my email soon, before it becomes a novel. One last story. I got to go to the Provo Temple today. This was my second time since I've been here, and I can say with full confidence that there is no better place on earth than a temple (except maybe home sweet home). I've added a pictures of the trip too. 

You're all so amazing and I miss you all. The scripture I chose to have put on my missionary plaque is Psalms 27:1. When tough times roll around this week, I'd encourage you to read this verse and pray, prayer is one of the greatest blessings our Heavenly Fathers given us. You can do anything. 

Love you all so much! Hoorah for Israel! 

Elder DeGraw


view from my classroom

My secret missionary rainbow drink

Temple trip #2

Provo temple





No comments:

Post a Comment