Monday, September 11, 2017

Week 5! Panda Express & PT

Heyo everyone!

I hope last week was one of your best weeks yet! I had another crazy week filled with lightning storms, eating, teaching, eating some more, and sleeping. Arizona is still in the 100's, but on Friday I got a quick taste of what winters will be like. It was cloudy and almost paradise. Okay, so not very much happened this week, but I've got a few stories to share. Here's what happened...

Tuesday I had my first interviews with President and Sister Robinson. My President is such a great example. He shared with me a few scriptures about being brave and sharing the gospel with everyone you see. After that, he shared some funny stories and I went to see Sister Robinson. She gave me a basket-full of fruit snacks to enjoy while we talked. It was good getting to know her better, where her five sons served, and hearing her testimony. 

Wednesday, I got to drive Elder Kuewa to see a physical therapist because his back's been hurting. We had to leave the mission boundaries and go into East Mesa, which was awesome. I could drive the ZL's minivan for hours. After, we went and grabbed some Panda Express. This was my first time eating there and I didn't know what to do. When they asked me what I wanted, I'm sure I made the face Elder Calhoun makes in the movie, The Best Two Years when the bakery lady's talking to him in dutch. Luckily, Elder Kuewa saved my bacon. I ended up with double orange chicken and a lot of rice. 
The Best Two Years/ My Panda Express Face
Thursday we had district meeting. When we'd finished, all the other Elders decided we were gonna go out for a district lunch. We had a few choices close by, and voted on those. The restaurant that won the vote was of course-- Panda Express. I didn't complain though, keep the orange chicken coming! That day, we had five lessons, and only one fell through. The other's were very special and you could feel the Spirit so strongly. My favorite moment in lessons is when the investigator is feeling the Spirit and realizes that following Jesus Christ can change their life. It's happened only a few times, but those are the moments that make missionary work rewarding. 

Friday I drove out to East Mesa again for Elder Kuewa's PT. We didn't get Panda Express after though...dang. While we were at the PT, they used acupuncture on my comps back. Haha, watching that happen to him made my back hurt. It was only one need too. 

Saturday we had a few lessons and saw a few people, you know, the normal stuff. 

Sunday was pretty normal too. I finally found Bishop Arnett's candy stash. One of our investigators on date for baptism told us he was moving to Tempe, so that was pretty sad since the Tempe missionaries adopt him now. One sweet Sister gave a talk in Sacrament that made me tear up. She told everyone that due to cancer, she had only a week left to live. She then spoke about our Savior and how she plans to use every last minute on earth doing as He would do, serving others. 

So that was my busy week. A few upcoming events. Transfers are next week the 19th, I probably won't be moving anywhere (i'll know on the 17th), but you never know. This Wednesday we have a Mission Tour. Elder Wilson of the Seventy is coming to meet us. Everyone's pretty excited! I'll let you know how it goes. 

One final thought. This week I read a talk by President Monson from the April 1999 General Conference session entitled "For I Was Blind, but Now I See." President Monson begins his talk with a story: 

"One not so blessed with the gift of sight was the blind man who, in an effort to sustain himself, sat day in and day out at his usual place on the edge of a busy sidewalk in one of our large cities. In one hand he held an old felt hat filled with pencils. With his other hand he held out a tin cup. His simple appeal to the passerby was brief and to the point. It had a certain finality to it, almost a tone of despair. The message was contained on the small placard held about his neck by a string. It read, “I am blind.” Most did not stop to buy his pencils or to place a coin in the tin cup. They were too busy, too occupied by their own problems. That tin cup had never been filled or even half-filled. Then one beautiful spring day a man paused and, with a marking pen, added several new words to the shabby sign. No longer did it read, “I am blind.” Now the message read, “It is springtime and I am blind.” The cup was soon filled to overflowing."

There is so much beauty in the world, and all you have to do is look for it. Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, we can all have peace in our lives. We can now have our joy be "filled to overflowing" because He loved each of us enough to the point where He gave His own life. Now all we have to do is show our gratitude and our love for Him. I know He is always there for us and that this church is His kingdom on the earth today. I know President Monson is a true prophet. I know Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us to become our best selves. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, amen. 

Love,
Elder DeGraw

Elder DeGraw's area


This is a picture of Elder DeGraw with our family dog, Ivy, photoshopped into it. Looks like someones missing his dog. His caption read, "Just my dog and me in Arizona"

This is a package we sent Elder DeGraw weeks ago. It got lost and has been all over his mission. We're glad it finally make it to him.


With Elder Kuewa at the Physical Therapist

No comments:

Post a Comment