Sunday, July 30, 2017

Week 1 in the MTC

Hi everyone! I don't even know where to start. I've only been in the MTC for seven days, but it feels like weeks have passed by. You can't have an experience like this any where else. The MTC is scary, stressful, and hard...but it's also the most perfect place to be. I think that that's because when you live the gospel 24/7, it's natural to focus on the light and not the dark. I've learned so much.

My MTC companion has a great love for the work. He tries really hard. His name is Elder Horrocks, or Horcrux because he's a Harry Potter fan. I've attached a picture of him and I. He's kind and constantly looking for ways to serve others. I'm still adjusting to having a companion with me at all times. I've wondered off once or twice without realizing it, and he's usually pretty freaked out when I find him again. Elder Bruce and Elder Anono are our roommates and they are both going to Nampa, Idaho. They are both awesome, and fun to be around. Elder Anono is Samoan and from LA. When one of us is feeling down, we give each other encouragement. I'm sad that I'll only get to know him for a few weeks before we head our separate ways. On Thursday, we got to clean another zone's dorms. We were late and got assigned the toilets, but that can't stop some Elders from having a little bit of fun. That's next hour of service was filled with us singing Disney music like; Moana, Beauty and the Beast, and any others you could think of. 

The new MTC is so amazing and if your thinking about coming down for the open house, I would say: "YES, do that!" I've taken a few pictures of the artwork to show you so you can feel like I'm pulling you into the MTC with me. 

I miss you all so much! I knew that when I got out here, I would miss my family a lot, and I have. I never thought about how much I would miss my ward family and my family at Deseret Book. Being around any of you made me feel safe and I miss laughing at your stories and jokes. You are all great examples. 

On all the screens in the MTC, they have a picture of Jesus Christ and a saying. It reads: "Become as He Is." I've pondered about how I can become better and more like Christ the last few days. He has given me everything and has saved my life. We each have struggles in life, but through His love, we can endure through the challenges.. "with God all things are possible." (Matthew 19:26) He is my Rock and my Redeemer. He loves every single one of us and set an example that if we choose to follow, we will find happiness in this life. There is so much good and joy in the world given to us by Heavenly Father. Look for the good. Look for Gods hand in your life. I promise you will find it. I say these things in the name of our Savior, Jesus Christ, amen. 

Love you all! I would love to get emails back from you too!

Love, 
Elder DeGraw








No comments:

Post a Comment